Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015

The next step to the rest of your life

Today I went to a lecture for a module called 'Career and Project Planning' and this yet again reignited that same old fear and question, 'what you are doing as a career?'

When the lecturer spoke about careers I couldn't help but think to myself, 'should I know what I am going to do? Does everyone else know?' The simple answer to this is NO. I have considered teaching, writing, marketing and journalism throughout the last few years. I had even considered becoming a solicitor but after taking A-level Law that quickly changed. But none of these paths ever felt like a concrete decision.

Now it almost seems cliche that in the media there is always that same old saying, 'oh it is so much harder for the youth today' or 'it's a tough world out there'. These seem to me to be both patronising and unnecessarily negative. Those who say this in aim of support seem to make us seem like we are unaware that the economy is shot, politicians are, most the time, snobby, wealthy and old-fashioned idiots and that jobs seem to be impossible to come by. However, whenever you ask about your uncles, aunties or whoevers jobs, they always seem to be in some position doing something peculiar which I have never heard of. Or have you ever asked a mate what their parents do for them to reply, 'I'm not sure really'?

It is only when you sit back and think about what you're going to do that you realise that no matter what you decide to do now or within the next 5-10 years, when you're 50+ you will, 80% of the time, be doing something completely different. So in essence, for the time being the most important thing is to just get some income so you can enjoy your 20s at least with little concern and take your time and explore the different opportunities that are out there.

The best example I can give is that of my auntie. She came out with a degree in art, a degree often discredited as being a waste of time! She has now worked her way up to a position that earns a very respectable salary as head of a marketing team in the company she works for.

I would like to find someone who has come out of uni with a degree in any of the arts to say 'I'm doing this to get into business' or, and perhaps more importantly, for someone to tell me that a degree in one subject will stop me from getting a job in another.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whether you have 1 GCSE in travel and tourism or whether you have a 1st in Biomechanical science, don't believe that you have to find the career that will be paying for your pension in 50 years time right now!

Just sit back and have a think at something you would like to do long term whilst working in something for the time being. Then when you put yourself in a position that when a opportunity comes about, take it!

I will for the next 2 years be under pressure to find a career path and I will be working hard to find one. But I don't think this ideology of 'sort the rest of your life right now!' will help.

It is a big, ugly world out there but as long as you work hard at whatever job you are doing, or just to get a job, for the time being it wont be so ugly to you. And if you find yourself doing a job you hate, just stick at it but work your arse off to get that opportunity to get to the next step in your career.


For the time being I will fill myself with knowledge of career paths and focusing on getting the degree in the first place. And at the weekends, just do what most university students do...

                                    (This an old photo by the way, now I have one in each hand.)


No comments:

Post a Comment